With the lights on?

As a gender, are men funnier than women?

Is it ok for a woman to use her sexuality to get a table at a restaurant?

Renee - San Miguel 2013

Renee - San Miguel 2013

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tuesday, March 1, 2010 ♦ Reports from my Birthday and Sad News from Greenville Avenue

So Fridays Phantom of the Opera at Musical Hall with the folks was fun and ihop afterwards for breakfast is always a treat!  Not the strongest cast vocally or with the energy I have seen in pasts, but it's Phantom so I will always love it!

Saturday night with friends to celebrate mine and Janna's birthday was a fabulous time (too much actually) with dinner at Ocean Prime.




































Thank you Kelly, Jimmy, John H., Joey, Janna, John R., Linsey and Ralph for coming to Ocean Prime.  And thank you to Nima, Whitney, Niko and Sarah for coming to the Stoneleigh where we ended up in the hotels bar area.  It was a great night to celebrate turning 32!

Sunday my wonderful Mama took Whitney and I to pickup our cars from the night before (yes you heard correctly). Came home for a quick nap before I had to take my bike team training spin class. I really wished I had not signed up!  But I had to go.  Dad could tell I was suffering, but I made it thru it!  Then home to breathe for a minute before I got ready to head to Mom and Dad's for my birthday dinner. My parents best friends and mine all came to celebrate with me. And they brought me fabulous presents with cards that are so me.  They all had to do with alcohol.  Huh???  One read with 2 girls in a bar holding cocktails...and this was from my folks...First girl..."I read what 10 years of drinking can do to you."  Other girl..."So what are you going to change?"  First girl..."Stop reading!"  LOL I loved it!  My Mom decorated the table with a cutest Italian theme, she is so creative and went all out!  I don't have any pics on me at the time sorry.  We had hors d'oeuvres, salad, my grandfather's recipe that my Mom home-made of pasta sauce, meatballs and stuffed shells.  And for dessert, the Pièce de résistance, what once used to be Neiman Marcus'  Black and White Cake is really and now is Frosted Arts.  Frosted Art has been NM bakery for some 30 years and we found out NM went all cheap and is now using a bakery up in Southlake!  REALLY????  You're NM for christ sake, you are suppose to offer your clientele the absolute best!  I heard a year ago that Frosted Art really made this cake and when this Southlake bakery said they could do it, but without the marshmallow icing, my wonderful Mother called me to ask my opinion and said hell no.  Call Frosted Art I said.  So thank you!
http://www.frostedart.com/

















So now for the sad news I wanted to talk about today...I know so many people have already heard about the fire that happened this early morning at Hurricane Grill, Mick's, Greenville Bar and Grill and Terilli's.  What a sad, sad day.  The memories and history that so many people have there is insane.  I know my memories are too many to even remember.  But I will share some of my favorites.  And since I am at work I do not have a lot of pictures that I would share because they are on my home computer.  So I may post some later or on facebook.

While I was in college, when we all came home for summer or Christmas or Thanksgiving, we just knew to head to Hurricane and we would see old friends.
Well of course Country-ex and I met for the first time ever there.  Remember the frozen Hurricane drink spilled in my lap?  And of course who did I call at 7:40am this morning when I heard? Country-ex.  He called back after he woke up and couldn't believe it.  And next of course I called Lee.   She said there needs to be some kind of funeral.  I agreed.  Flowers should be placed out front.

Cannot even begin to count how many times we have danced on the stage, on the speakers or on the bar at Hurricane!
Almost every birthday except this year I have ended up at Hurricane or GBG.  Spent last years birthday at GBG.
Heard Chase and Martin's band Tall play every single Tuesday night some 7 and 8 years ago.  God that was fun!
We all talked a band playing at Hurricane into letting me sing Happy Birthday like Marilyn Monroe for E's birthday using their mic and sound system.
Became friends with Greg, Erica, Shawn, Rachel, Juan and so many others over the years. 
I was just there for Fat Tuesday with Jimmy and Kelly.  Spent many Fat Tuesdays there.  That's where I got my awesome beads from.
All the St. Patty's Day Block Parties spend at Hurricane, OMG!  I remember getting to Hurricane one year at 10am with my ex-best friend to reserve 2 tables outside on the side of Goodwin where they made up a patio area and having everyone join us while listening to Tall play!  The years of it pouring cats and dogs and then pretty days you always pray for.  This years will be bitter sweet.  One because I won't be going with Country-ex and 2 because the block is gone!  Well for those block lovers there are many ideas popping up about about fundraisers and a page on facebook to become a fan and help.

I know so many thoughts and prayers go out to the owners and employees and we all hope those establishments CAN and WILL be rebuilt.  We can only cross our fingers!

Gotta get back to work!  Have a great day!














No comments:

Post a Comment